CHRIST CHAPEL (on the backside of Churchill Downs)
SOUTH 4th STREET, GATE #5
To share the love of Christ with the horsemen and horsewomen who work at Churchill Downs by providing for their physical and spiritual needs.
Joseph Del Rosario, Chaplain
WHAT WE DO
- CONDUCT WEEKLY WORSHIP SERVICES for those who live and work on the backside of the racetrack. Because working with horses is a 24/7 -type of job, the workers would not have an opportunity to worship in a regular church setting. Since there is no racing on Mondays, it is the perfect time to schedule these meetings. The worship service begins with a time of prayer and singing. Chaplain Joseph Del Roserio leads the bilingual service.
Meals are served at 6:15 pm and the worship begins at 7:00 pm, with a children’s ministry alongside.
- PROVIDE FOOD, CLOTHING, LINENS, AND PERSONAL CARE ITEMS - Since the workers move from track to track, they do not have many possessions. The ministry tries to provide the basic necessities.
- HOST FREE HEALTH CLINICS
ACTION: WAYS YOU CAN HELP
- PARTICIPATE IN THE SERVICE - Groups are encouraged to participate in this service by bringing special music.
- PROVIDE A MEAL for the workers who attend the worship service. CALL to schedule your group to provide supper.
- COLLECT the following much-needed items:
— Hygiene: shaving, shampoo, toothbrushes, deodorant, soap, etc.
— Linens: blankets, pillows, sheets, towels, washcloths
— Clothing: T-shirts, socks, gloves, hats, jeans, jackets, shoes, socks
— Non-perishable food: peanut butter, crackers, canned foods, powdered food