CHRIST CHAPEL (on the backside of Churchill Downs)
SOUTH 4th STREET, GATE #5
To share the love of Christ with the horsemen and horsewomen who work at Churchill Downs by providing for their physical and spiritual needs.
Ken Boehm, Chaplain
WHAT WE DO
- CONDUCT WEEKLY ENGLISH & SPANISH WORSHIP SERVICES for the people who live and work on the backside of the racetrack. Because working with horses is a 24/7 -type of job, the workers would not have an opportunity to worship in a regular church setting. Since there is no racing on Mondays, it is the perfect time to schedule these meetings. The worship services begin with a joint session for prayer and singing. Then the group split into areas to hear sermons in their own language (English & Spanish). Chaplain Ken Boehm leads the English-speaking service and Assistant Chaplain Chris Wu leads the Hispanic service. After the sermon sessions, the groups come together for a time fellowship and a meal. Services are held at Churchill Downs on Monday evenings at 7 pm March through December.
- PROVIDE FOOD, CLOTHING, LINENS, AND PERSONAL CARE ITEMS - Since the workers move from track to track, they do not have many possessions. The ministry tries to provide the basic necessities.
- HOST FREE HEALTH CLINICS
ACTION: WAYS YOU CAN HELP
- PARTICIPATE IN THE SERVICE - Groups are encouraged to participate in this service by bringing special music.
- PROVIDE A MEAL for the workers who attend to the worship service. CALL to schedule your group to come for a SERVICE and PROVIDE A MEAL. More churches to serve supper are needed!
- COLLECT the following much-needed items:
— Personal care items: shaving needs, shampoo, toothbrushes, deodorant, bath soap, etc.
— Linens: blankets, pillows, sheets, towels, and washcloths
— Clothing: T-shirts, socks, gloves, hats, jeans, jackets and shoes
— Non-perishable food: peanut butter, crackers, canned foods (e.g. beanie weenies, Vienna sausages, tuna, etc.)